Saturday, May 9, 2015

Some progress

I finally got the tubes all tacked together and it's time to start the lay up of the joints. This is the first bike that I've ever done with full carbon construction, and honestly, it's a lot easier than working with bamboo. Things are straight, at least for the factory made tubes, and there isn't the concern about splitting.

A quick rundown of the geometry that I've settled on for my 'perfect' road bike.
All dimensions in millimeters.  

  • Head Tube 182
  • Seat Tube 570
  • Top Tube 590
  • Chainstay Length 410
  • Seat Tube Angle 73 deg
  • Head Tube Angle 73 Deg
  • Rake 43
  • Trail 58
  • BB Drop 72
The idea here is more of a road bike, as in something for the longer steadier courses, than a criterium bike.  I'm hoping that stability will be good, and that it will just lean into a corner and stick it.  Even with my 177.5 mm cranks, I can get away with the lower BB drop because I prefer Speedplay pedals with their extra cornering clearance.   In the end, it works out pretty much the same as a 68 BB drop with standard Look or SPD pedals.  I have really liked how well the lower overall center of gravity felt on my last bike, though that was largely due to an incorrect fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment