Monday, May 30, 2011

New jigger

 
I've yet to find a piece of bamboo that is straight. Sure, a lot of them LOOK straight, but really, there's always half a degree here, half a degree there. The most annoying ones are crooked in 3 axes at once. I try to avoid that as best I can, but sometimes there's a perfect piece that needs taming.

The seat tube on Vinod's bike was massively stout, and I had to find a way to ream the insides out to fit the seatpost. That would have been problemmatic, since this was one of those 3D curves (though subtlely) and by simply following the inside profile of the culm, the seatpost would have been cockeyed. Enter this jig: with a piece of my tube notcher, and some select hole saws, I was able to construct a jig that will ream out the dead center of the seat tube every time!

Aside from me forgetting that I'd left the cotter pin in the spindle when I first used the thing and smashing a bloody gash into my second handiest finger (right index, in case you were wondering) it worked great.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment