Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Second try

My second shot at the BB joint seems to have gone better. I was up till 2 last night futzing with it and when I pulled off the vacuum bag this morning, it looked pretty good. A quick tug on the dropouts shows that the joint itself flexes not a bit, all of the movement is along the length of the stays. I just have to glue in the seatstay bridge, wrap the seat-stay/dropout junction a bit, and sand sand sand sand sand. Oh yeah, then make the headset fitting and paint. I'm probably only slightly more than halfway done time-wise, but it feels good to see the whole frame.

Last niggling doubt: I am a bit worried about my previously mentioned 3d wiggle in the seat tube. My concern is that it will affect my eventual seat position enough to be noticeable. I imagine that If I were to jack up the seat enough, the distortion would be apparent, but I'm hoping that the seat collar, which is located on the centerline of the jig by the seat-tube cone, is close enough to the eventual position of my saddle, that it will be an inconsequential feature. If not, i guess I'll make myself a self-centering seatpost or something.

2 comments:

  1. let me ask you this- how much longer is one leg than the other? is your spine straight? how about your pelvis?

    so what im getting at--
    even if it is off by a couple mm's i dont think its a big deal.

    a cm is a whole 'nother story tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm just going to have to ride it to find out. The nice thing is that the seatpost head that I'm going to use is the FSA DATA head (Dual Angle and Tilt Adjust) which has a bit of lateral motion to it. My only gripe is that it's a bit heavy. If things are straight, I might switch to a Thompson or the like.

    ReplyDelete