Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Pour moi?

I've finally started working on a bike for myself, after over a year of dinking with carbon and bamboo. This bike is going to have all the bells and whistles, or at least as many of the bells and whistles as I can manage to put together in one bike. I spent a long time anguishing over the frame geometry to specially suit my weirdo ideas about bike fit. I'm a true believer in the arch cleat position espoused by Steve Hogg and Joe Friel and I believe that it has had a lot to do with my continued improvement on the bicycle as well as a vast increase in comfort. I also made the switch to 180mm cranks last year and I've really enjoyed that change as well. A little sluggish at first, but more power, plus a really low center of gravity have made cornering a thing of joy. This means that I am very low and far forward on the bike though, which has resulted in a bit of sloppiness up in the front end with my extremely long and strange 140mm stem.

I've also decided to go with a tapered steer tube on the bike, though I am not 100% sure whether or not to go with a 1.5 or a 1.25 up front. I'm mostly concerned with what will look good with the enormous headtubes that I've ended up using. To top it all off, I'm a believer in the BB30 system as well, and though I won't be able to get my 180 cranks, i don't think, I'll be able to get a set of SRAM Red cranks in 177.5 which may be the sweet spot for me, we'll just have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment