Sunday, September 27, 2009

Interbike

Interbike was awesome. As per usual, the biggest gathering of my people that I've ever been too. It's unusual to get a chance to be a minor level nerd in a big ass convention hall full of other nerds. It makes me feel a bit normal at the end of the day. As if there's nothing unusual about my 24/7 obsession with bikes. There are other people like me, and occasionally a few of them actually make some money.

Main goals were to find a manufacturer of 1.5" steerer tube forks, and a headset that can work with them, and also somebody who makes a cyclocross chainstay set for the next bike. I want to make me a cross bike BADLY.

Also, if anyone has a sweet hookup on a tubing notcher, or some lathe parts, let me know, I'm looking to tool up in the next few weeks and get this thing rolling.

3 comments:

  1. check out a harbor freight tube notcher. pretty cheap, a bit janky, but gets the job done. pro-tools makes a pretty sweet expensive one, and there is also "the ol joint jigger" in the middle of the price range.

    but if you're going to be mitering metal tubes id probably opt for files and a tubemiter program. its quicker than having to jig up the notcher in a drill press, unless you intend to notch multiple tubes of the same angle at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I'm probably just going to snag one off of ebay or harborfreight. I really don't need anything fancy, and since I'm mitering bamboo and carbon anyway, the big diameters that I use are better suited to tube notching than to filing, though I have used a drum sander with some success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you are still looking for a 1.5" tapered steerer tube cross fork, look at the Giant TCX's for 09 and 10. They used a tapered one on their bikes i believe. Is edge doing anything you know of? or maybe easton has one in the works. What type of headtube cups are you planning? similar to C-dale system/super six's, or something different? I'm excited to see the progress, as I want one for myself!

    ReplyDelete